Twisted Christian

Questioning the Christian norm

Beginnings (revised as necessary)

So this site grew out of an excess of time that I found myself with during Lent 2009. I had given up spending hours lusting for bass gear and decided to spend it writing more worth-while stuff.

The title, "Twisted Christian" was given to me by a co-worker back when I was an industrial mechanic. I was into guns and knives, I drank and swore like a, well like a mechanic. I went to church every week, had a weekly small group on Wednesdays, and would regularly question the "Christian norm." So this attitude earned me the moniker, Twisted Christian, which I am quite proud of. Questioning should never be a fault, and it should always be paired with the search for answers.

So that's what I'm doing here. I'm no scholar by any stretch of the imagination, though I am hoping to one day be that and more. I'm tired of the negative image Christians have and want to do my part to change that. In order to do that I need to first learn what we, as Christians, are doing to give us that negative image, and how it can be changed.

Throughout all of this I will be learning as well. I don't have this solidly cemented faith, it's more fluid-like with small islands of things I've accepted.

I want this site to be a learning place for everyone. A place to share your opinions, and be exposed to other ideas. I try my best to be diplomatic and intelligent, so feel free to let me know when I'm not. So feel free to join in with your opinion, or respond to others in the comments section.

I am Christopher, and I am a Twisted Christian.

As a little disclaimer, this won't always be "twisted christian" things. I might occasionally come across a totally normal Christian thing that doesn't make us look particularly good or bad and write about it. Just so you know. :)

2 comments:

Beth said...

It is always a good thing to find out how to better represent Christ as a Christian. However, it usually doesn't come from opening your mind to new ideas and/or tweaking scripture. Christ left His disciples with a very important message (command), He told them to love one another. To treat each other with brotherly love. This is how people will know that they are Christians, by the way they love one another. I believe that is why Christians have a bad rap. We have forgotten what Christ told us....Love one another. Make a difference and do as Christ said and start loving your neighbor, your boss, your family, your co-worker etc. You will change a life. Thanks for listening.

christopher said...

I agree, loving one another is the most important command Christ left us. And it's true that many of us don't do such a good job of following that command.
But I also think it is important for our relationship to grow with Christ, that we learn more, and we open ourselves to the leading of the Hold Spirit that is within us.
We are too far removed from the original writings to not tweak scripture. Each version of the bible tells it a little differently, each person interprets something their way. I don't think this is a bad thing. Delving deeper into scripture and finding out the context in which something was originally written in can be very eye opening.
It doesn't matter your Theology, as long as you have a relationship with Jesus, and are living by the tenets laid out in the Epistles. That is what is important. Jesus plus nothing.