Twisted Christian

Questioning the Christian norm

Tracts make me sad

It makes me sad when I read garbage like the following...

This was your life

How can anyone come to know the love of Christ when they are first told to cower in fear of Christ? There is little wonder people despise sidewalk evangelists who hand out tracts. Why have I never seen a tract that touts the love of Christ? I will say there is no other way to everlasting life than through Jesus, but I will not condemn you for choosing any other path.

How can someone learn about the love of the church if they come to Christ through reading this kind of hatred?

Are Roman Catholics Christians?

I don't think all the rites and rituals are required, but to say someone isn't Christian for following them? Christianity is about accepting Christ as your Lord and Saviour, and the last time I checked, Catholics believe Jesus to be the Son of God. Catholics use rites and rituals like the 7 sacraments because they feel it brings them closer to God and believe that they are REQUIRED in order to achieve salvation. They still believe in Christ, and while the sacraments aren't a requirement for salvation, there is nothing wrong with using them to bring yourself into closer communion with God. Saying that doing so is wrong is like saying that singing worship songs in a contemporary service to bring yourself into closer communion with God is wrong.

Is evolution vs. creation really that big of a deal? Big Daddy?I don't understand why it matters whether we evolved from a single cell organism or we just appeared as we look today. We were made in the likeness of Him right? Maybe he looks like a single cell organism, and we evolved from that into what we are today? Who knows how long those original "7 days" really were.

Oh, and for some reason these nut jobs also think that all bibles, with the exception of the King James Version, are of the devil and that we who read and follow them are being deceived and will be cast into the fiery lakes of hell. Just so you know. ;) It says so here...The Attack.

So if you are sitting somewhere and want to take yourself on a rollercoaster ride of emotions through disbelief, sadness, anger and ending up throwing your hands in the air and asking why God made Christians like these, then please go ahead and surf on over to Chick's Tracts, for all the evangelical bullshit you can handle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 quick reminders -

1) The Jing Kames version ;) though poetic, is very close to the worst english translation we have. Even in the context of the year it was published, it was a fairly errant document.
2) Though catholics believe in 7 sacraments, they look at the sacraments differently than protestants do.
catholic: "They are special occasions for experiencing God's saving presence. That's what theologians mean when they say that sacraments are at the same time signs and instruments of God's grace."
protestant: (off the top of my head)
i) commanded by christ
ii) outward sign of an inward grace
iii) has physical properties (ie water of baptism, bread/wine of communion)

I realise that because our sacramental definition is different one could be deemed 'wrong' but is that the basis of salvation? certainly not. In fact, even the rites we DO share in common, though can be the means to salvation (ie salvation can occour through the event itself), it is not the REQUIREMENT as such. Example: we commonly refer to "believe and be baptized" - though if you dug into it a bit deeper, you would find out that 'be baptized' is an added text very similar to the last chapter in John. Necessary? I'll leave that decision to you. Probable Jesus said it? Perhaps - but again, not necessary for salvation (I draw into focus the 'age of accountability).

3) Creation vs evolution: Chris, you and I need to talk. Evolution is of the devil. Adam and eve were white, eve wasnt' named Steve, cavemen didnt exist, and earwax doesn't spit from my ear.

Does that make sense? It will when we have the conversation. YC FTW.

-Andrew

Anonymous said...

And by the way - Why does my lord look like Spider man's nemesis "the chamelion" and talk like howie mandell?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d164/anjoopear/chamelion-1.jpg
-Andrew

christopher said...

@Andrew 1)I'll have so send you this stuff I've been getting. It goes on and on about how the King James version is the only REAL version and that all the other ones are tainted by Hilter's regime. lol
2) Thanks for the sacrament education, I've never been very clear on it. It's all icing on the cake of faith. Once you have the cake, the icing just makes it sweeter.
3)I had a dude in bible college once tell me that God invented carbon dating so that we could pretend that the world is older than the 4000ish years that it actually is. Umm...what? While I'm not a fan of thinking that we evolved from a single cell, it could very well be true. About as likely as if we were created looking like we do today only 4000 years ago. Either way, I don't really care. :) But, I'll probably write a post on it one day anyway, since it's something screwy that Christians get up in arms about. I do like that people seem to think that Jesus was this blue-eyed white dude though. That always makes me laugh. Seriously, how many Jews from Israel do you see with long wavy brown hair and blue eyes? I'm just saying...